What is NYC Civic Corps?
The NYC Civic Corps, an AmeriCorps program run by NYC Service, unites a diverse group of professionals to serve full-time with partnering organizations, working to increase their organizational capacity to engage volunteers and build sustainable volunteer initiatives.
Small teams of NYC Civic Corps members are assigned to partner organizations for 10 months of full-time service and charged with recruiting, engaging and managing volunteers and volunteer programs. Corps members help nonprofit organizations and City agencies meet New York City’s most pressing needs in:
- Economic Opportunity
- Environment & Clean Energy
- Education: Tutoring & Mentoring
What's in it for me?
- Educational grant award of $5,550 which can be used toward tuition or student loans
- NYC Civic Corps members receive a monthly stipend of $1,270, pre-tax
- Professional Development and Networking Opportunities
- Basic health coverage
What are the requirements?
Any individual who applies to be a member of the NYC Civic Corps must:
- Complete and submit an online application by July 10, 2013
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Hold a Bachelor's Degree (or expect to complete one by July 31, 2013) and be willing to provide a transcript to verify the completion of the degree
- Submit to a background check by the Office of the Mayor and NYC Service, pursuant to AmeriCorps regulations
- Attend NYC Civic Corps Orientation, to be held September 5-6 and September 9-10, 2013
- Be willing and available to serve full-time (40+ hours/week) for ten months, accruing an AmeriCorps minimum of 1700 service hours (qualifying corps members to receive the Segal Education Award of $5,550).
- Understand that the stipend for NYC Civic Corps is taxable, and is valued at $1,270 per month before taxes
- Understand that a basic medical plan will be available to NYC Civic Corps members, at no cost to Civic Corps members
- Certify that they meet the criteria listed above when completing the application.
Check out the following link for more info and the application:
Applicants should contact NYC Service with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-788-3209.
The deadline to apply is July 10th, 2013.